You may have heard of the famous pasta puttanesca, which basically means 'in the style of the whore'. It's never really been determined why it's called this; some have mused that it is because of its sultry, sassy, and bold flavours, others have put forth the possibility that it's quick and easy between clients, and still others have opined that it's made of simple ingredients that most Italian kitchens would have on-hand at any time.
Whatever the reason, puttanesca is easy to make and fun to eat. Plus, since recipes vary widely in Italy (for everything), there are plenty of delicious and fulfilling versions of the recipe that are totally vegetarian. Try my version!
Pasta alla Incubus
Pasta of choice (my favourite is fiori)
1-2 tsp capers
5-7 spoons crushed tomatoes
Crushed red pepper flakes
1) Heat the olive oil under medium heat, until it moves freely in the pan. Add garlic, basil, and red pepper and saute for around a minute. Then add capers and mix thoroughly, cooking for a couple more minutes.
2) Add tomatoes and mix thoroughly, then add olives and 1-2 spoonfuls of olive brine. Mix again and let cook for at least 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
3) While the sauce is cooking, cook your pasta according to the directions for the specific kind of pasta.
4) Pour puttanesca sauce over cooked pasta. Eat while hot (and sexy, of course!)
Tips and Such
- If you don't have capers or don't like them, just add a couple more spoons of olive brine. The function of the capers will not be perfectly replaced by it, but it will at least add some rich tartness that the dish needs.
- You can garnish the dish with parsley flakes or fresh parsley, which will really bring out the taste of the sauce!
As you can see, it's a delicious dish that will delight any palette! It plays on the tongue and leaves a sense of contentment. Even on these hot summer nights, a puttanesca-adorned pasta can't help but satisfy.
You could even eat the pasta dressed in your favourite feather boa, or your stiletto heels, or those handy kinky boots you never quite found an occasion to wear. Be creative!
};) Dhiar <3