Have you all been cooking? Yes? Good! This is the time of year when it's so much fun to cook and bake and share with others.
Today's recipe is a simple enough one that is ridiculously easy to throw together when you get an urge for veggie burgers, tofu, or, well...just about anything you could think of! It takes all of 30 seconds to get ready, so you have no excuse not to use it.
Almost All-Purpose Sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
2-3 tbsp applesauce
splash soy sauce
garlic powder or minced garlic
chilli powder (cayenne) or shichimi togarashi
1) Mix all ingredients together in small bowl.
2) Spread over food and cook it in!
Tips and Such
- This sauce does a great job on plain vegan veggie burgers. Just spread some on the top of the frozen patty and turn it over to cook, then spread it on the other side while the bottom cooks. Keep doing this until you've used it up; you'll have a super-tasty treat. This makes the patty moist and full of flavour. If you don't want to use it all, you can keep the remainder for up to a couple of days, but stir it before you use it.
- Because this has oil in it, that means you don't have to oil the skillet. Keep the burgers flipped regularly and you'll come out fine!
- You can use 1 tbsp of water instead of one of the tbsp of applesauce to make a thinner sauce, for dipping.
- You can use this as a topping or garnish after cooking.
Sesame oil is oil made from sesame seed. It is an immensely flavourful oil, so a little goes a long way. Like olive oil, it has been noted to have significant health benefits. Cooking at medium temperatures is generally best with this oil. Don't deep-fry with it or anything.
Shichimi togarashi is a Japanese pepper blend. It's very tasty and also incorporates sesame seed. Make sure to read the label, since some manufacturers put in MSG. But that's lesser and lesser anymore.
I hope you'll enjoy this simple and quick sauce! It's great when you want to soup up some plain burgers. It's immensely satisfying...maybe even surprisingly so!
Until next time...happy cooking!
};) Dhiar <3