Today's recipe is a favourite of a new friend and regular to the Incuverse, Jager Rader!
He comes from the splendid Deutschland, a place of savoury cooking and delightful dishes. One of his favourites is wurst, which is available in a variety of ways. But of course, it's not very vegetarian-friendly. So today, we will be making a recipe that is not only vegan, but also delicious, for our friend Jager!
Vegan Paprika Wurst
1/2 C vital wheat gluten
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C water
1/4 C soy sauce
1-2 tbsp Hungarian paprika, or to taste
1 tsp - 1 tbsp garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp ground white pepper
1/2-1 tsp nutmeg
pinch, or to taste
1) Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir, and then add the wet ingredients. Stir thoroughly again. The mixture should be doughy.
2) Let it rest for around 10 minutes.
3) Knead the mixture until it is smooth. You may want to knead it for about five minutes, to be sure it will be nice and smooth and have the right texture.
4) Heat some oil in a frypan to medium-high heat.
5) Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll each one into a ball, then roll them out on a flat surface to a cylindrical shape. Place them carefully, one at a time, in the frypan.
6) Cover and let them cook for about 10 minutes, making sure to flip them during the cooking. Don't let them burn!
7) Serve hot. Makes about 5 medium-sized wurst.
Tips and Such
- Once you have cooked the wurst for about 10 minutes and they seem solid, add onion and cook uncovered until the onion is semi-transparent. Wurst with onion is always delicious, and it complements the flavour of the wurst perfectly!
- Wurst is excellent served with pasta. Spaetzle is ideal, but any pasta will do!
- Once they are cooked, these wurst are fine to be served anytime. Simply refrigerate them or place them in a cool, dry place until you are ready to eat them. They can be enjoyed hot or cold, just like traditionally-made wurst!
- You can alternatively make larger or smaller wurst. If you want to do so, you can make a pair of large wurst and slice them for crackers, pizza toppings, or sandwiches!
A friend prepared a delicious-looking batch of wurst with some peace sign shaped organic pasta! This mouth-watering picture shows you how easy it is to make a delicious and fulfilling meal.
Until next time, happy wursting!
};) Dhiar <3