Many people enjoy the smoky flavours of things like bacon, but when you don't eat meat, your options are limited. These days you can get pre-made items, which are generally tasty. But what if you don't have any in the house? Or what if you like the taste, but want it on something else?
I have just the thing for you!
Jazz up those veggie dogs, spruce up that falafel! Here's a sauce you can make that you can use for preparing anything with a delightfully smoky flavour.
Smoke Gets in Your Sauce
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tsp sugar
1) Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Use as a marinade near the end of cooking, or a dipping sauce.
Tips and Such
- If you want to make facon, as it's commonly called, press a block of tofu and then slice it into thin slices. Cook it in an oil of your choice until it is golden and has become a little crispy. Add the sauce to it and cook it until it is crispy. Serve hot.
- This sauce is best added at the end, when the food is almost finished cooking, but has enough time left to soak in the flavours. You don't want to put it on too early, because the nature of the sauce means that it will cook on quickly and may burn if cooked too long.
- A couple of spoonfuls should be enough for a couple of veggie dogs, so if you have any left, just refrigerate it.
- Be sure to pay attention when buying liquid smoke. Most liquid smoke is made in a vegan style, but not all. Check out the ingredients when you pick up your bottle!
This recipe is quick and easy, and it's sure to please anyone with a craving for that smoky flavour. Try it on some of your favourite foods!
};) Dhiar <3